Wednesday, April 9, 2014

The Existential Life of a Third Grader

Am I the only one who read the Lewison and Heffernan piece and just laughed a little.  Not just that the woman's name is Mitzi (which is ridiculous in itself) but how many third graders do you see walked around discussing social injustices?  When I was in third grade I was working on my multiplication tables, writing in cursive, and having Rohl Dahl novels being read to me. I was not, by any means, creating legitimate pieces of writing, narrative or anything else.

I do agree that children's social narrative writing COULD help to foster their critical social development, but how much critical thinking can we honestly expect from them.  Using stories seems like an easier way to access that part of a student's thinking.  Giving them a concrete example to work with--- and not relying on their self-reflective skills to come up with writing ideas.  For instance- Matilda could be used as a way of discussing bullying or being yourself.  I have no idea if children could come up with a way to express complex emotions that they are feeling themselves, but seeing an example would help I'm sure.

In the article Lewinson and Heffernan argue that social narrative writing can help create safe classroom spaces where students "publicly" share issues of personal and social concern. I'm not sure exactly what kind of social concerns these children are facing, but my best guess is that it would deal with finding their place in a community or school.  And if I was struggling with finding my place I would not be vocal about it.  Especially in front of a group of kids.  Kids are assholes.

Sooooo I guess I don't get it...

No comments:

Post a Comment