Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Shari - Lindemann Chapter 15

Shari - Lindemann Chapter 15

This chapter is a must read for any teacher of composition, but also for any teacher of any topic.  She clearly states how and what teachers need to do for their students so that they can succeed!  What really stuck for me was the "Directions" section.  In my past educational and professional life, assignments/work have been given much ambiguity.  I didn't want to go to the teacher/boss to ask for clarification as I didn't want to look like I didn't "get it."  But I was in business school, one of my professors told me that if I want an employee to do something or get somewhere, I need to get them a map. This is what Lindemann does.  She says, "Because effective writing classes involve students frequently in prewriting, writing, and rewriting, giving good directions is crucial."  And she continues on to say, "Good directions answer the following questions for students:  What do you want me t do?  How should I do it?  How much time do I have?  Why am I doing it?  How will I know if I've done it well?"  This is the tool, the map that students need to have. And they want this information.  Writing is subjective enough, at by having this information, it tells students to go have fun and be crazy and experiment with the language, but within the boundaries that we are all aware of. 

No comments:

Post a Comment