Monday, February 24, 2014

Writing and Teaching Writing: What I Want/Need to Know

Why do students need to have a voice when writing? And if they have a voice, should the teacher then criticize it? If not, then the teacher’s criticizing the mechanics and structure of the writing. If so, then who is the teacher to criticize the student’s voice?

What I want to know is why schools spend so much time using fairytales as prompts to teach children to read and write, then expect us to abandon creativity/imagination in favor of academic discourse. It's like the Peter Pan syndrome – no room for mature writers in the land of imagination. The importance of content, structure, proper language, a writer's etiquette, takes precedence over authentic voice.

What I want to know about teaching writing is what type of discourse is going to provide my students with the best chance of being a successful academic writer. I am torn between what I'm learning in terms of alternative discourses to teaching writing. That is my number one issue. I read that the expressive pedagogy is great and allows an authentic voice but what usefulness other than writing differently does this serve? When they move on to the next writing class and the teacher has no experience or is in direct opposition, how will it affect the student? I just wonder if it is not the status quo and so many of the institutional level abhor this type of writing, again what is the purpose?

Why does English as a department carry a stigma that no one who majors in this field will get a job/took the easy way out?

Why is teaching (specifically in college) so political/competitive? Why don't college professors work together more often rather than seclude themselves?

What's more important: research, publication, or teaching?

How important is knowing grammar/MLA as a teacher in composition?

Should you take a year or any amount of time off between MA and PhD to teach? Will this better your chances of getting into a PhD program?

How do you write/teach to write dialogue?

What history (of writing) is most important to cover? What theories are there on writing? There are literary theories on how to analyze literature – what is there for the act of writing itself? Do they overlap – modernism, postmodernism, structuralism, etc.

Please summarize Bartholomae/Elbow debate – where does it stand now?

More insight as to why some of the articles are important for students – and more other words more feedback.

Samples of successful thesis prospectus

Samples of literacy biographies

I would like to know how to work with students who have a phobia of writing. I find the getting the ball rolling often begins with the opening sentence: I want to get the audience’s attention in the first line. Sometimes it's a difficult task when the topic is very complex. Should we encourage “one-liners,” opening sentences and skills for developing something that catches the eye and ear?

Providing student feedback

Evaluating students writing/grading

How do I write creatively?/Creative writing instruction

ESL students: do I grade them on form or just content?/Best way to teach composition to ESL students

Practice with process

How can I help students organize writing

How to get students to deepen analysis

Teaching students to revise and take it seriously

Helping students invest in writing

Helping students to brainstorm on their own

Challenging writers to write more and more often

I need to know my students. I need to become familiar with their – his and her – writing. I want to want to need to read and “grade” their writing. I want to not feel like spending all, most, of my time is a burden. Why should I decide to be this person – join this morally ambiguous and egotistic elitist field – not to conform, to upset, destroy (Cixous) and reinvent.

I want to know the best way to break the mold of the five paragraph essay for younger students. Alternative forms of essays.

I want to know how to grade creative writing pieces. It seems completely subjective.

I want to know what the new “big thing” is in composition studies. Is it all on multi modality in writing across texts?
How to teach conclusion paragraphs


Syntax

Effectively connect paragraphs?

Is there anyway a rather what is the way to help students writing without it sounding like you? Or another way, how do you not default into “Well this is what I would say”?


Can you or should you reward weaker writers for relatively significant improvements in writing even if it's not near as good as some of the strongest students? And if you should, how?

1 comment:

  1. Romano says that students need to have more than a voice, they need to "cut loose". However, shouldn't students be taught that there are appropriate ways to "cut loose?" Assuming that most students do not want to grow up and be literary writers, then they will need to know how to write in a way that fits into the business world. What is the discourse of business writing? It is many things, but mostly, it is not "cutting loose."

    ReplyDelete