Sunday, February 9, 2014



What I got from the Flynn article was this:
Flynn cites the gender difference in psychological and social development. Her research asserts that there are fundamental differences between men and women, due to our psychological makeup and social experience. Hence, she believes that this difference is manifested in writing/composition. She uses student samples to justify her claims. I gather that Flynn’s ideas may be met with skepticism and anger, but like Flynn, I believe that males and females do have different social and psychological experiences. That said, I also believe that there is common ground between male and female experiences. I believe where they diverge cannot be ignored, and that those differences can be distinguished in some writing. We may see this in our young writers (teenagers); perhaps less in more sophisticated and professional writing. I think maybe as a person (male or female) grows, the voice may experience less gendered things, and instead may develop more intellectual, worldly, and nuanced perspectives of the world, hence erasing and blending these gendered spheres.   

No comments:

Post a Comment