Monday, February 24, 2014

Thoughts regarding Miss Reyes' notes


I totally agree with Amanda’s claim that journals should be utilized as a person space.

“Grading individual entries in journals is counterproductive because it discourages provisional thinking and regular practice with writing.  Journal offer students a place to write without fear of making mistakes or facing criticism for what they have to say”

I think it is absolutely hysterical that my teachers still have Reading Journals on their syllabus.  Even as a graduate student I’m still being graded on my journaling.  The sad thing is, I’d keep one anyways.  I like having my initial responses and quotes I liked down on paper.  But the minute I find out a teacher will be looking at it I immediately begin to censor myself, completely dissolving any truth my thoughts had. If a Reading Journal is meant for the student, there is absolutely no reason a professor should be reading it.  If it is a thinly veiled attempt to ensure students are staying on top of the reading, I almost take offence.  We’re in graduate school. 

There is obviously a disconnect when composition teachers, who acknowledge the importance of a PERSONAL reading journal, still  require students to submit one for a grade.  I guess they aren't doing what they preach.  Annoying as balls...

No comments:

Post a Comment