Wednesday, May 4, 2016

When You Assume…


            Reading in Zamel’s “Strangers in Academia” about being more “reflective about teaching” has had its desired effect (519).  However, discoveries as a result of my reflection are a mixed bag.  Do I always believe in my students’ potential?  Well, mostly, but there are one or two that I wonder about, particularly after the fifth or sixth time I have explained something.  But how much of that is on me?  I did explain the issue in a variety of ways with multiple examples, but I didn’t insist that student X take notes as we talked, and I didn’t assign him extra work on the problem area, which I am entitled to do.  Do I ever conflate poor speech with limited intellectual ability?  Um, I would like to invoke my Fifth Amendment right, please.

            “Remediation as a Social Construct” touched on many of the same assumptions as Zamel’s article (Hull, et al).  One teacher interviewed dismisses her students’ life experience and sees a lack of “academic experience” (301).  On reflection, I can honestly say that I highly value the experience and knowledge my students bring, but I do lament how standardized testing has sucked the creativity out of their thinking.  On the other hand, I am guilty of falling back on the IRE model for class discussions when I ask a question and I can hear the crickets outside.  I suppose I have made many mistakes as a SIL, but at least I haven’t assumed that poor performance is the result of moral turpitude.  Seriously, how is this relic of Puritanism still a thing?

3 comments: