Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Diving Lessons

Four years ago my friends and I, inspired by Cheryl Strayed’s Wild, hiked to, and bungee jumped from the Bridge to Nowhere in the San Gabriel Mountains. There are a few reasons why this was significant to me. 1) I have an intense fear of hiking that dates back to elementary school. 2) I have a fear of heights. 3) This adventure served as a metaphor for taking the plunge into a new career: teaching English. Even though I had been teaching music for nine years, switching to a different department felt like starting something entirely new, and I felt scared and inadequate. There’s one thing of which I am sure: To affect change in my life, I have to get uncomfortable. I have to face my fears, dive into the dark and have faith that, eventually, I will find the light.

This semester I learned that teaching composition always involves plunging into the unknown, taking risks, trying new things, being vulnerable. As a teacher, I may feel resistant to new strategies; my students may feel resistant to new ideas, but there’s no excuse for not trying. If it works, great. If it doesn’t, toss it and try the next idea. I’ve learned that free writing is a powerful tool and inquiry is indispensable. I’ve learned never to take my students for granted. They are resources rich with knowledge, experience, insight. Don’t underestimate their capacity to learn and to teach. And in those awkward moments when I’ve made a mistake and feel like melting into a puddle, I can take comfort in knowing that those are the best opportunities for growth.

1 comment: