Sunday, May 1, 2016

The Perfect World (Utopia)



I was reading about the free-writing exercise on utopia.  After reading all the discussions and hesitations of students I think that “utopia” is a sort of personal and mythical world based on one’s perspective, where everybody would be excluded.  Probably most of us, if not all, have in some instances of our lives, dreamed about building a better world especially one that fixes “all social issues” that afflict societies in general.  When I think about it I wonder how many people would be interested on hearing a personal utopia proposal, especially if that envisioned world would be called after my name, “The land of Marisol where there is no suffering.”  When I was younger I used to speak it out all the time, I would talked about my ideas of a perfect world, but I gained a lot of enemies because of that.  Although, I believe that I am a committed person and that I would be willing to change the world, especially for those who are living under oppression, I cannot say it loud, even now, that I have grown up to a mature individual.  The fact that I recognize my powerlessness of transforming the world places constraints on my conscious mind, somehow.  As a young girl I was living in this unrealistic world, which I believe, caused me disappointment and emotional distress because real world and life are very tangible and hard, and you cannot tell people how to behave.  With time I started to understand that what I believe is perfect, for others, it is just the opposite.  I do believe that we can make little changes in people’s lives, and that, is social justice; humane actions that make you feel a different person, regardless of the world you live in.  I do that because I cannot create a world though on my ideals, however, it is hard to accept why innocent people died and nobody does anything, why there are millions of children starving at this moment, why governments abuse their own people, and so on.  Utopia is nowhere; only exist as a self-perception of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment