Monday, April 4, 2016

Writing in Harmony?

Writers, for the most part, are soloists. We like our work to take center stage, to stand in the spotlight. We love to bask in the glory of our genius. We don’t particularly enjoy collaborating with other writers. For those of us bold enough to join community writers groups, we still, while in a room surrounded by our fellow scribes, stake out a private space and buckle over our laptops, typing feverishly until the end of the session. And if we’re feeling really adventurous, we might even share our future Pulitzer Prize winning pieces aloud. Many of us are scared of criticism and judgment. Our writings, after all, are extensions of us, demonstrations of our intellectual prowess or lack thereof. At least, this is how many of us feel. 

For me, this is the sad part about being a writer. When I was an active musician and dancer, I had to collaborate with my fellow artists. I had to harmonize. Sure, I had to go solo every so often, but I still needed a band, a choir, or a dance company to perform with me, to back me up. Musicians and dancers are always seeking out others who are better than them because they know that one of the best ways to become a better artist is to hang around better artists. Camaraderie is a necessary skill, and if you can’t master it, no one will want to work with you, and your success will hang in the balance. Don’t get me wrong: There is plenty of competition to keep the agilest ballerina on her toes. But it’s a competition steeped in the tradition of co-production. 


Can the writing culture change to mirror this kinship? I know that writers co-author books and scripts. But what about something similar on a more pedestrian level that can start in our classrooms? This might help take the edge off young writers who are scared to share their work. 

1 comment:

  1. Actually, have a look at the Recchio piece from 3/16 on Bakhtin. Bakhtin believes (and I do too) that writing is a lot more like conducting an orchestra than it is being a soloist; that we live in a very active bubbling stew of different voices that we, essentially, convey through ourselves.

    ReplyDelete