Monday, April 11, 2016

Deciduous Philosophy

It seems as though my teaching philosophy changes every few years. I wrote one over thirteen years ago when I was looking for a teaching position. I don’t even remember what I wrote. But I am for sure that my ideas have changed since then. And frankly, my philosophy today — whatever that is— will probably be different once I finish my master's degree. Speaking of a master's degree, I have a confession to make: The more I learn about rhetoric and composition, and sit in different professor’s classrooms, soaking up their respective teaching styles, the more I feel confused about what to do and what not to do in my classroom. There are so many different theories (Elbow vs. Bartholomae vs. Otte), acronyms (SRTOL, AAVE, WE), and ways of doing things (Student contracts! Alternative writing? Academic voice solemente, por favor!) that my head feels swollen and wobbly like those silly looking bobble head figures that sit on car dashboards. I know… I'm the grad student, and it’s my job to sift through all this information and conjure a coherent curriculum. But good lord, that’s a lot to sift through.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that it can become confusing after we are inundated by so many teaching philosophies. As a fellow high school teacher, I think I should remind you that not all of the so-called experts have been in the trenches like we have, and not all of them have faced the challenges we have and have experience with the clientele we serve. While we should always remain open to informed pedagogical suggestions, it's important to work hard and keep both eyes open to see what works best in each particular situation. It's obvious that you are a great teacher; I'm sure many of the so-called experts could learn from you by observing you as you teach. This would be quite a departure from writing academic articles while perched in an ivory tower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One note from my own experience and Pierce: A little cognitive dissonance ain't necessarily a bad thing.

    But the basics are pretty simple: Good readings, good assignments, good feedback.

    ReplyDelete