Sunday, March 16, 2014

Lindemann: Chapter 12, Teaching Rewriting



Lindemann says, “Planned carefully, writing workshops realize the primary objective of a writing course: students and teachers writing, reading, discussing, and improving one another’s work” (208).  I had not participated in a writer’s workshop in a long time, although I’ve had my high school students take part in such workshops regularly. I forgot how helpful, enjoyable, and constructive they are to me as a writer. I think writers workshops are very crucial in order to get students out of the habit of viewing “rewriting as more than editing, polishing, or proofreading, as more than correcting flaws in papers we’ve already graded” (210). Writer’s workshops are invaluable in getting the kind of feedback that will immensely improve one’s work, if one is open to such critique and group work dynamic, because ultimately one gets a different perspective and lens on what has been written.

No comments:

Post a Comment