Monday, March 10, 2014

Facebook- multi literacy teaching?

I once gave my students a mock up of Facebook and asked them to write their info in there and present it to the class. Don't judge me, it was a get to know you activity during the beginning of the year. With technology so rampant and ever changing, many teachers want to incorporate technology into the classroom to help their students (iPAD in LAUSD?). However, with so many possibilities out there with technology, teachers have to be careful how and why they integrate it. I collaborate with several teachers at my school, and we want our students to learn "20th century multi-literacy skills" (they presented at the NCTE conference last year, not me though cause i'm still trying to figure out what it all means). What I know is that my students still struggle to do MLA format, and a lot of them don't know how to cite a paper and do a header and footer. But I guess those are more practical problems than content.

I thought that the article was an original way to look at Facebook, because it shows another way of looking at ethos, pathos, logos other than teaching it through advertisement. Facebook, as other posters have said, is advertisement of yourself and the lifestyle you want people to think you live. You're selling your audience an idea. You analyze, you predict, you write stuff that makes people want to respond to you. It contains multiple skills that students might use throughout their English class. Interesting, but can we really depends on the information we get from rhetorically analyzing Facebook if half the things on there are lies?

No comments:

Post a Comment