Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Writing Wrongs or Damn You, Lindemann!



            This is what my writing process used to look like:  I would receive the prompt and get right to work – no woolgathering or lollygagging.  If it was a research paper, I would gather more than the required number of sources and start reading and annotating texts.  If it was literary analysis or poetry explication, I would look up every g-d damn word in the OED, but avoid reading outside the text for fear of violating the laws of New Criticism and plagiarism.  To begin writing, I would construct a rigid, formal outline that included my thesis statement and every topic sentence of my fiveish-paragraph essay.  That was the extent of my prewriting or invention.  Next, I would sit in front of my computer for an hour or so, the prompt taped to the wall next to me, trying to craft the perfect introductory paragraph.  Then, I would proceed through my argument, one paragraph at a time, like General Sherman advancing on Atlanta.  Occasionally, I would move paragraphs around, but not often.  Over several days, adding, deleting, substituting, and rearranging were done as part of the drafting process, so that my completed draft was, very nearly, my final one.  At last, I would let it “marinate” overnight and, perhaps, replace a word or two with a synonym before turning in the essay the following day – a mechanically perfect and rhetorically lifeless masterpiece.
            In light of my Rhet/Comp studies, I have had to reconsider not only the way I teach writing, but the process by which I compose.  My writing and my thinking have become less linear, more open to being reassessed and reshaped (194).  I have learned to wool-gather and lollygag.  Since my goal as a teacher is to provide encouragement to students, I have had to leave prescriptivism behind and (Dare I say it?) learn to love things like free-writing and using double-voiced rhetoric.  Instead of using my Lyceum Workshops to drill the class on grammar and syntax, I have students free writing, reading a variety of texts, and thinking about style.  My comments on their papers have more to do with their content and logic, than with their abundance of comma splices.  I have yet to read the finished papers they just turned in, but the drafts I saw were promising.  Some students actually seemed to enjoy the process.

1 comment:

  1. What will you do about the comma splices though? Out of curiosity, I'd like to hear how you will handle the grammar issues. A lot of times, students who are unfortunate victims of strict process pedagogy struggle to compose clear sentences. This becomes a serious issue when I encounter this student at the freshman comp or critical thinking and rhetoric levels because I don't want to clog the hours with grammar in these classes. At a university, students can afford to focus exclusively on process; many of these students already write with, at least, a fair degree of clarity, but--at the community college, where students are overwhelmingly assessed into basic skills courses because of their inability to demonstrate a knowledge of grammar and syntax rules--this exclusively process pedagogy is a luxury we cannot afford. I would love to hear your ideas on how to address this issue with students at, say, Compton College.

    ReplyDelete