Sunday, March 20, 2016

Writing About Familiar Topics

I revisit Fulweiler’s article, but this time, I paid more attention on the fact that whenever I write I don't think on a specific audience, rather, on generating sentences that somehow could not please an audience, except myself.  Those sentences come from my other self, the Spanish identity, through which I am trying to make meaning out of the English language.  The article states that through the construction of sentences we are building meaning of our world.  I must recognize that most of the time I don’t pay attention on the shape of my words, but, on the flow of my thoughts.  However, as a graduate student, I am very concern about getting excellent scores since I need them for further academic references.  This is a fact that most of times place constraints over my writing style, and on my cognitive abilities of developing a cohesive text.  Yes, it sounds as if I were writing for a grade, indeed, probably most students think about their grades when they are writing a piece of discourse.  I’d like to comment about my literacy autobiography assignment for many reasons, but the most important ones are:  
        Our Professor didn’t assign us an unfamiliar topic, rather, we were to write about something that motivates and forces us to write.   
        Also, I’d like to mention how my peers reacted very positive to my draft.  They were very professional and respectful when pointing out my syntactic mistakes.   Yes, I don’t like commas and sometimes I abuse them a lot, or left them out.

        As a final comment, I may not become a successful writer, but at least, Dr. Cauthen makes me feel that I can write and that nobody will think that I don’t know the language.

No comments:

Post a Comment