Sunday, February 21, 2016

Venting



            The prewriting/invention strategies discussed in Chapter 7 of Lindemann have been around for some time, I’m guessing – from the 70s at least, with some dating back to Aristotle.  Why was I not given any of these tools in Freshman Comp??  It’s not like I attended college back when dinosaurs roamed the earth; I just received my BA in winter of 2014!  To think of all the time wasted staring at an empty page or a blank document, when I could have had the means to generate ideas and build meaningful content, instead of well worded b.s.  I’m a bit miffed.
More importantly, why aren’t more Freshman Comp professors teaching their students these techniques?  I’ve read several journal articles recently that recommend as much as 85% of one’s writing time be spent in prewriting.  That’s yuuuge, as The Donald would say, and it is information that is not being communicated to undergrads.  In four semesters as a SIL, only one professor has emphasized invention as an important step in the writing process.  As teachers and SILs, we need to become proselytes of prewriting and preach it!

1 comment:

  1. I share your amazement that pre-writing is not emphasized as it should be in classrooms. Maybe teachers don't quite know how to demonstrate various pre-writing techniques, or maybe they don't quite know how to allocate the appropriate classroom time to get maximum results. I'm pleased that you realize the importance of pre-writing; I'm sure that as an SIL and as a teacher, you will provide a great service to your students by emphasizing this aspect of the writing process. They will be lucky to have you, and I'm sure you'll do a better job teaching writing now that you've had this epiphany!

    ReplyDelete