Sunday, February 21, 2016

SHAPING DISCOURSE: The Five-Paragraph Essay

SHAPING DISCOURSE
SHOULD I WRITE A FIVE-PARAGRAPH ESSAY?
I was facing with the five-paragraph essay, recently; it happened that I was running out of time while debating about whether to write five or more paragraph for the ELM examination.  This is the college English placement, however; I am at a higher academic level.  Anyway, I needed it for the credential program at Dominguez Hills, since I can decide between taking the CBEST or ELM, I chose the ELM test.  I am trying to make a point out here; throughout my college experience I’ve been taught about how effective communication involves the application of the writing-by-formula rules.  In most instances, following this formula implies limiting written discourse to a five paragraphs.  It is perfectly fine for me since I speak English as a second language, I don’t need to force myself to write six paragraphs.  Well, it was not the case this time, because the topic we were assigned was such a complex one, beside that; it involved topics about government, politics, and social issues, so how could someone write just five paragraphs about such complicated matters?  Lindemann on chapter eight discusses several possibilities for organizing writing, through which students can use self-expressive writing and responses to assignments.  This was the type of formula I used to develop my essay about the topic being asked.  I started developing small paragraphs, which were connected one another.  I completely abandoned the prescribed form that Lindeman discusses in chapter eight, I was just following my own thoughts, but also applying the concepts I’ve learned in the teaching composition course.  I’ve found that I do much better without a predetermined plan of actions.  However, I did support my assumptions with reasons.  William Irmscher writes, “is not to prescribe it, but to help students realize how they can perceive and create the patterns of their own thoughts.”  “Students need to learn more about linking the ‘inner parts’ than designing the outer shape.”  This quote makes me feel more comfortable about the fact that, it is easier for me to develop my ideas, without paying attention to the outer part of the discourse.  


No comments:

Post a Comment